[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: logins to secure web pages

kwhittle@nebula.tbe.com wrote:

> Here's a question for you...
>
> How can I set up multiple http servers to accept the same username and password
> information without having to enter it multiple times?

You can't do it with the existing basic authentication scheme since a name/passwd
pair is corelated to a domain (ie. a directory of a server and the subdirs)

> What I would like to do is have the web browser pass the second server the same
> username and password it did the first server and have the second server accept
> it.

I'm sure you even don't want to do it this kind becasue that way you distribute
your passwds maybe widely :-)

> I would like to make it so that the user enters their username and password
> once when they enter the "system" and browse freely from then on.
> I guess you could liken my goal to logging on to a domain with LAN Server or LAN
> Manager and then having whatever resources are assigned to you available until
> you log off. How do I do it?

A solution could be client authentication with certificates according netscapes
SSL protocol. See
http://www.netscape.com/std/newsref/

But client auth is rarely used today.

> Kerry

read you later  -  Holger Reif
----------------------------------------  Signaturprojekt Deutsche Einheit
TU Ilmenau - Informatik - Telematik                      (Verdamp lang her)
Holger.Reif@PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE         Alt wie ein Baum werden, um ueber
http://Remus.PrakInf.TU-Ilmenau.DE/Reif/  alle 7 Bruecken gehen zu koennen